Nikki Wood, Rachel Massey and Bill Brown from Stormport Professional Services were welcomed by staff and pupils at Churchill Park School to the schools celebration assembly on Friday 7th October 2016.
A number of the Key Stage 4 pupils are undertaking their Bronze Duke of Edinburgh Award involving a camping expedition to Thetford Forest.
Churchill Park School is a school for students aged 2-19 years with complex learning needs. The school’s Key Stage 4 students participate in activities working towards their Duke of Edinburgh Bronze Award; this includes a three day, 2 night expedition – camping in Thetford Forest. To facilitate their students’ needs and encourage them to be as independent as possible, the school are currently looking for more equipment for our expeditions. This includes:
- Airbeds with sides to stop students from rolling out of bed onto the floor
- An all-terrain electric hoist – to assist our students in wheelchairs across the uneven terrain to get them in and out of bed.
- Lockable first aid cabinet
- Long range Walkie Talkies – there is a very limited mobile phone coverage
- Large tents that can be used as a ‘MESS’ or for students who have a lot of personal equipment to sleep in
We were overwhelmed by the confidence and enthusiasm of the pupils we met and the dedication of the staff working with and guiding them. The celebration assembly was a joy to experience and we were very happy to offer our donation of £300 towards the equipment required by some of the pupils who will have limited access on the rough forest terrain.
We would like to thank staff and pupils for their kind words and wish them all the very best for their expedition.